hotel Prezidium Palace - Lovech
hotel Prezidium Palace - Lovech
Number of rooms: 53
In hotel: Air conditioning, 24-hour front desk, Parking, Restaurant, Room service, Day Bar, Dry cleaning, Non-smoking rooms
In room: Air conditioning, Bathroom, Bathtub, Minibar, Telephone, TV, Satelite TV
Places to see nearby» Devetashka cave
The Devetashka cave is located some 15 km northeast from the Town of Lovech, on the right shore of the Osam river. It is one of the biggest caves in Bulgaria. Its size is impressive (it is 150 km long, and its entrance reaches 35 m in height). Archeologists have proved that the cave was first inhabited sometime in the late palaeolithic era, and served as a home for local inhabitants in the following eras as well – throughout the neolith, eneolith, bronze, and iron eras, the Middle Ages. Some of the most interesting neolithic findings in Bulgaria could be seen in the Devetashka cave. It was discovered in 1921, and in 1950s was used as oil depot. Nowadays, the cave is declared a monument of culture and a protected natural landmark of national and international significance.
May 11 - Public Holiday of Lovetch
On May 11 the town of Lovetch celebrates its public holiday. It is situated on the border between the Danubian Plain and the northern slopes of the Balkan Mountains, on the river terraces of Osam River. On the east, the town is surrounded by a plateau, 250 m high, with almost vertical slope to the East Industrial Zone. Lovetch is located 150 km away from the capital Sofia. The land here has been inhabited since high antiquity because of the favorable position between the mountain and the plain. The ancient town arose over the ruins of the Thracian town of Melta, which was probably the capital of a Thracian tribe and had very important role of a trade station for the Thracian tribes. Later, when the Romans colonized the Balkan Peninsula they established a Roman station and called the town Presidium. It had a very strategic role, being on one of the main Roman roads – Via Trajana, connecting the White Sea with the Danube River. Even today, the Roman road Varosh exists. During the Middle Ages Lovetch was of strategic importance. According to some researchers the Lovetch fortress was one of the last conquered by the Ottomans – in 1446, but even after that it kept significant rights – Ottomans were forbidden settling in the town, no children were called in the janissary army, and the town kept collecting the duties for the goods passing it. At the end of 16th century the town was deprived of these privileges. Because of its prosperity the town was called Altin (golden) – mentioned for the first time in 1520. In 1784 the town was siege and burned down by the Ottomans. Today Lovetch is an important commercial, educational and cultural center. The melody of the anthem Varvi Narode Vazrodeni (March ahead, o revived people) was composed in Lovetch. It was years that the town celebrated the so-called Lilac Holidays in May.
Cherni Osam river
Cherni Osam river, which is considered the source of the Osam river, starts from the western part of the Troyanski Balkan, southwest from mountain peak Levski. The river runs through a long, narrow and quite sloping valley, takes a small right tributary – Jidov dol – near the village of Neshkovtsi and in the countryside “Smesieto” unites with its biggest tributary – the Kraiovishtica River. From the countryside “Smesieto” downhill, the Cherni Osam River heads north, takes up some more small tributaries near the village of Oreshak, then turns west and at the Velchovska neighborhood, approximately 3 km. from the town of Troyan joins the Beli Osam River. In this section the profile of the valley changes and the bottom of the river becomes broader and the slopes more steep. In general the river valley of Cherni Osam is narrow, deep with steep rocky slopes, the riverbed is covered with large rocks. The banks of the Cherni Osam River are afforested with beech-tree woods. From the village of Cherni Osam downhill, the woods become thinner and are gradually replaced by shorter vegetation. After the Cherni Osam River joins the Beli Osam River, near the town of Troyan the river continues its way under the name the Osam River. From there downhill the Osam River runs north and reaches the town of Lovech, passing through a hilly site. The Osam River mouths into the Danube River near the village of Cherkovna.
Stratesh Park – Lovech
The Stratesh Park in located on the hill of the same name in the northern part of Lovech (Central North Bulgaria). It embraces an area of about 1000 decares. The park was constructed following the project of architect Ivanchev (1956), Petko Evrev and Kosta Enchev, with the voluntary works of the natives and the machinery of the local enterprises. First, the central part was constructed – the place surrounding the White Monument. The official opening of the park took place on May 27, 1964. Today, the asphalt-paved alleys pass around beautiful lakes, gardens with flowers, ornamental trees and bushes. The White Monument erects on the place near the rock bending above the river, where the Russians placed their artillery position during the Russo-Turkish War of 1877–1878. Next to the White Monument the Soyuz 33 crew Nikolai Rukavishnikov and Georgi Ivanov, along with their colleagues Alexander Alexandrov and Aleksei Yeliseyev planted trees during their visit in Lovech on May 16, 1979. The Black Monument is located in the western part of the park, and is also dedicated to the Russian liberators. The eastern part of the park homes one of the most visited places – the Zoo, which is the second biggest in Bulgaria, both by size and variety of animals.
The Krushuna waterfalls – Maarata
The Krushuna waterfalls – Maarata have been declared a nature landmark in order to preserve the typical geomorphologic formations, animals and plants on an area of 5.7 hectares. It is situated 34 kilometers east from the town of Lovech and 8 kilometers away from the town of Letnica, at the North end of Devetashko plateau. The water of Maarata River forms a karst waterfall, 20 meters high, and the biggest Bulgarian travertine waterfall cascading through a wealth of quarries, water pools, freestone terraces, U-shaped rocks and peculiar flora. In this region is one of the most beautiful caves in Bulgaria – Vodopada (The Waterfall), with its original galleries and a labyrinth, hard to orientate in, and barriers - accessible only 150 meters from the entrance and only by speleologists. The spring water from Vodopada cave falls from 20-meter rocks and forms the Krushuna waterfall. The region has rich history. The Thracian tribe Usdikenzhy enhabitet the area during 5-th century B.C. One of the most valuable treasures from that period was found here – the Letnishkoto treasure. Fortress ruins south of the village remind of the Roman period. During the Middle Ages the area was a philosophical center of the rock monks – Hesychasts.
The Glozhene monastery is located amid the natural beaties of the Northern Balkan mountains. Despite its name, it is in fact closer to the village of Malak Izvor, than to the neoghbouring village of Glozhene. It is built right on top of a mount and resembles a castle when viewed from a distance.
Customers looked at this hotel: 3755
Four-stars hotel in Lovech
In hotel: Air conditioning | 24-hour front desk | Parking | Restaurant | Room service | Day Bar | Dry cleaning | Non-smoking rooms |
In room: Air conditioning | Bathroom | Bathtub | Minibar | Telephone | TV | Satelite TV |
Show nearest hotels in Lovech