hotel Park Central - Sliven
hotel Park Central - Sliven
Number of rooms: 47
In hotel: 24-hour front desk, Restaurant, Day Bar, Non-smoking rooms
In room: Bathroom, Minibar, Telephone, TV
Places to see nearby» The Blue Stones - Sliven
The Blue Stones - Sliven
Sinite Kamani (the Blue Stones) are located in the highest part of the Sliven Mountain, north from Sliven, on an area of 7094.1 ha. They were declared a natural park on November 28 1980. In 1702, the Krim sultan Selim Gerey called them “the Sliven Alps”. The highest summit in the region is Balgarka (1181 m). The Blue Stones are strewn with picturesque rock groups – Kuklite (the Dolls), Bachvata (the Barrel), Kamilata (the Camel), Kaloyanova Tower, etc., as well as many caves – Zmeevi Dupki (Snake Holes), Orlovi Dupki (Eagle Holes), etc. According to the historical and scientific surveys, conducted in the region, the park was inhabited as early as the new stone age. In the Zmeevi dupki cave, working tools, ceramics from V-III century BC, stone moulds, weapons, as well as other ancient articles have been found. On a number of places in the Blue Stones, ruins of old fortresses, monasteries, ancient roads could be seen. The archeological reserve Tuida (a Roman fortress from III-V century) is located in the Hisarluka region, and the ruins of the St.Spas monastery could be found near the Manastirska river. St. Spas is also known as St. St. Constantin & Helena monastery and is one of the 24 monasteries, built in XII-XIV century, known as the Sliven Small Holly Forest. In 1834, Dobri Jelyzakov built in the defile of the Selishka river the first baize factory in Bulgaria, which is nowadays operating as a National Museum of Textile Industry.<br /><br />
Kabile Monastery Nativity of Holy Virgin Mary
The monastery Nativity of Holy Virgin Mary is situated near the archeological reserve Kabile, 6 km from the town of Yambol. In late antiquity (4-5th century) Kabile was a big religion center. During the reign of Emperor Constantine the Great there was a monastery here, about 1 km away from the present reserve. The legend tells that Queen Elena often sent her men to bring her water of the curable spring nearby. Later the monastery became an orthodox nunnery and was inhabited until the Ottomans conquered Bulgaria at the end of 14th century. Although the monastery was destroyed, local people never forgot the story of the magic spring. In 1918 an old woman from Sliven found the spring after a prophetic dream. Supported by generous men, a small chapel was built there. The constuction of the monastery began in 1918 and ended in 1944. Now the cloister is nunnery, and the temple holiday on September 8 gathers lots of Christians. Most of them come here believing that the holy spring of the monastery will bring them health and longevity.
The Old Elm-tree in Sliven
The famous elm-tree in Sliven is of Ulmus carpinifolia kind. It is a broad-leaved tree with a very well developed route system. Trees of this kind could be found in Bulgaria only at areas with an altitude more than a 1000 m. The elm-tree in Sliven is a nature’s phenomenon as it is over 1000 year old. It has been a part of the Great Bulgarian forest which has covered the whole area between the Rhodope Mountains and the Black Sea. There are about 20 other elm-trees of the same kind in the village of Samuilovo which is located 7 km. away from Sliven. All these trees are considered a National treasure and are protected by all laws. The old elm-tree is directly bounded with the history of Sliven especially over the centuries of Ottoman yoke. The famous Bulgarian author Damyan Damyanov says: “This is a famous tree and it is without any concerns one of the greatest symbols of Sliven. It is a sacred tree considered as a monument and a symbol of the fight and the high spirit of the citizens during the yoke. This is an important, touching and proud specimen of a disappearing species. It is not proved but some people believe that many young men and rebellions were hung there during the liberty fights.”
Christian Arts Standing Exhibition in Sliven
The Orthodox traditions in Sliven region (Central Bulgaria) have centuries-old history. The Christian Arts Standing Exhibition is formed is the past four decades, with the cooperation of the Arts Gallery and the Sliven Bishopric. Valuable works of one great art, having protected the Christian religion in centuries, are collected here. After a careful restoration work these pieces of art are kept and popularized in the institution having the statute of museum. The collection presents the different processes, developed in the Christian arts in the Sliven region during the period started in the end of 17th century and lasted until the second half of 19th century. The earliest icon here is the one of John the Baptist, dated to 17th century and worked out by unknown master of the Holy Mountain.
October 26 - Sliven public holiday
On October 26 the town of Sliven (Central Bulgaria) celebrates its public holiday. Sliven is known as the town of the 100 voivodes. The region is inhabited since high antiquity because of the favorable climate. Thracians, Romans, Slavs and Hellenes have lived here. During the Roman Age lots of roads, water conduits, bridges and fortresses were built. A lot of ruins dated to this period are protected near Sliven – in the districts Ramanusha, Daulite, Hisarlaka, Selishteto, and near the villages of Gavrailovo, Topolchane, Sotirya, and the town of Tvarditsa. Sliven became a part of the Bulgarian State in 705. During the First Bulgarian State the town has a key position on the passage from Thracia to Moesia. The town was one of the most significant clerical centers in Bulgaria during the National Revival. Yet in the first years of the Ottoman Yoke Sliven and the district turned into a center of the haidouk movement – the most popular form of opposition to the Ottomans. This made Sliven known as the town of the 100 voivodes. Sliven is also known for being the home town of national heroes as Hadji Dimitar and Panayot Hitov. The first Bulgarian poet Dobri Chintulov was also born in Sliven. Nowadays Sliven has a special meaning for the Bulgarian economy because of its century-old traditions. Sliven is the birth town of the Bulgarian industry, thanks to the proper geographical and historical situation and the insight of the local man Dobri Zhelyazkov. In 1834 he established the Balkan’s first textile factory. In 1879 Petko Rachev Slaveikov edited the first issue of the Sliven newspaper Balgarsko zname (Bulgarian Flag). Sliven has a lot of symbols, but the most popular are Sinite kamani (the Blue Stones), the monument of Hadji Dimitar (officially opened on November 8, 1935), the monument of the Sliven Seventh Horse Regiment, and the city clock (completed in 1936).
Customers looked at this hotel: 3572
Three-stars hotel in Sliven
Location: City |
Location: City |
In hotel: 24-hour front desk | Restaurant | Day Bar | Non-smoking rooms |
In room: Bathroom | Minibar | Telephone | TV |
Show nearest hotels in Sliven